Re: creating socket

Hello

man socket says:

  SOCK_PACKET
              Obsolete and should not be used  in  new  programs;
              see packet(7).

& man 7 packet says:

 Packet  sockets are used to receive or send raw packets at
       the device driver (OSI Layer 2) level. They allow the user
       to  implement protocol modules in user space on top of the
       physical layer.

for the socket() system call, the 3rd arg. is the protocol (udp/tcp/spx &
so on.) ETH_P_ALL is a catch all protocol type, indicating accept any
protocol type. Basically your program would first get the packets, b4 the
packets are transmitted to the next higher level (the appropriate handler
for that protocol).

Sreeji