Some memory reallocation in kernel mode

 Hi all,
         I have a situation where I have allocated a memory chunk to
request
 some data. Ultimately, I end up getting much lesser data than I had
 requested for. Now I want to just retain the got data and free the
 unused chunk from my earlier allocated chunk. How do I go about doing
 this?
         Any pointer or suggestion are welcome.
         TIA
 bye
 ketan

        one thing i forgot to mention , this is in kernel mode. My code
is in
 kernel mode , so do inform accordingly.