looking at the kernel

Hello,
I'm a newbie to linux. I'm studying Operating Systems, and I want to do a case study of the linux kernel, by looking at its source. I'm not sure which source file to start of with. Can anyone help me?

This may sound stupid, but does the linux kernel have main() fuction somewhere inside it?

Another Question(off topic from the above), how does one delete a file of a given directory from c, in linux. For that matter, how can one perform simple shell activities, (ls, rm, mkdir,..etc) within a c program?

Rajeev