raw/packet sockets

Hi all,

This is once again with reference to the question about implementing
protocols that I had earlier for which I thank all those who helped.
Regarding the two suggestions offered, I have as yet been unable to download
'ns' and I am going ahead with using packet sockets. Now regarding the use
of packet sockets I have a question:
Only superuser is allowed to create packet or raw sockets. So, in a program,
would I have to ask the user to enter root password, then do a 'su -' ,
create the sockets followed by an 'exit' system call? Or is there an
alternative method ?

Also, should such system programs be object oriented or procedural? My
thinking is that they should be probably be procedural.