Postgres passwords...

Hi,

How do I enable passwords for postgresql? I tried changing the
pg_hba.conf, with the USERAUTH set to "password". Once I do it, it asks me
for password when I try running psql from $ prompt. But where do I set the
password??

I tried logging in as postgres (the db admin), and updating pg_shadow
table, like this

update pg_shadow set password='<VerySecret>' where usename='<MyLogin>';

but after changing pg_hba.conf for password authentication, I can't use
the <VerySecret> as password for <MyLogin>.. What is going wrong??

I tried looking at postgres admin/user/programmar guides. But could not
find anything useful...

TIA,
Kedar.