RandomAccessFile

hi all,

    as far as my knowledge goes, when we open a file as a RandomAccessFile
with "rw" mode in java it only lets us replace the chars in the file and
does not let us insert chars in between.....

basically i would have stored loginnames and passwords in a file...
when a user changes his password from the GUI it should get affected in the
file.....
since i am able to replace chars only... i can successfully change the
password only if the old and new passwords are of the same length..
i may later on want to insert new lines and delete lines

how can i do this ???

thank you going through this mail
- chetu