Re: kernel crash log

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 02:11:49PM -0500, Amit Kucheria wrote:
> Arun, i have a small question.
>
> How is kdb different from running gdb on an 'active' kernel ?
> I know kdb is an SGI addition (i think), but i havent ever used it,
> being content with gdb. What does it provide, that gdb'ing doesnt.

If you're just examining the state of the running kernel, gdb is
probably as good as kdb. However, if you're trying to put breakpoints
and catch asynchronous events, then gdb is no good.

Bottomline: the kernel code can "invoke" kdb when certain events happen,
but they can't do the same for a gdb on the same machine because it
depends on that very kernel to run. However, when you run gdb on a
different machine, the capabilities are very similar.

	-Arun