Help on autocmd

Hi  all
    I am using the following line in my .vimrc but some how its not
working
         autocmd BufNewFile *.c,*.h,*.cpp,*.pl   let headerFlag =
confirm("Want Header?","&Yes\n&No\n",1,"Question")
Whenever i open a new file of the above kind  confirm function is not
getting called and headerFlag does not get set.
However if i write the same during the command mode  ( let headerFlag =
confirm("Want
Header?","&Yes\n&No\n",1,"Question")  )   headerFlag get set properly.

Any help would be of great help .....

Regards
Sumit