Re: Good utility for CVS

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 12:56:55PM -0600, Indraneel Majumdar wrote:
> Sorry for late replies. Perforce too does not have a distributed server
> architecture. That means two repositories with continuous activity cannot
> be synced without the export-import you mentioned (which stops activity on
> at least one server). This limits the development process only to people
> with fast network access to the CVS server.
>
> I checked again at cvshome.org and found some info to do this at:
> http://www.cvshome.org/docs/infomultisite.html
>
> This sounds complicated but at least it's possible for CVS.

The link above says what cvs can not do: pass meta data between
multiple sites. Only data can be exchanged and checked into a
vendor branch - your checkin messages are lost.

Perforce also uses a journal to be more crash resistant. I guess, that
helps it do distributed stuff better.

You're right about perforce - you can't check in simultaneously to
two repositories at the same time (I doubt if any system can do that
without human intervention). The main issue is the ease of syncing
repositories. The remote depot feature:

http://www.perforce.com/perforce/technotes/note030.html

makes it easy to do that.

	-Arun