Re: framebuffer

> Earlier in Redhat 6.1 when there was no support for SiS6326,framebuffer
mode
> was there.A framebuffer is nothing but the video memory.But what is  the
> difference between this and the normal driver mode where we have 6326
> driver?
basically the framebuffer mode under linux is a special service provided by
the linux kernel! In the framebuffer mode, the linux kernel has the video
drivers for the video card. This way you need to write just one x server
which uses the framebuffer interface, and all the drivers can then be
consolidated into the kernel. This has intresting uses other than x too. U
can for example have a graphical boot up for linux (similar, but better than
the windows boot screens!) while the kernel loads, etc!

Bye,