Re: shared library problem

At 12:42 PM 2/12/2001 +0530, you wrote:
May I know why? /usr/local/lib may be a better place. Better you put following
line in your shell startup srcipt like .bash_profile

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:~/lib

Shall I say what you need to do additionally?

> 4> /sbin/ldconfig -n /lib ( See if this instruction can be skipped or not )

Not required if you export LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

LD_LIBRARY_PATH is not always a workable solution. For security reasons, it's ignored when loading a setuid binary. Else you could easily make a backdoored version of a system library and make a setuid root program load it instead of the real library.

--

Kiran Jonnalagadda
www.pobox.com/~jace