help on networking.....(unknow protocols icmp)

hello friends
    i have embedded my network module into the kernel,
and places on embedded device. i have a uniqiue
problem. when i boot through the new kernel image, im
able to ping, but when i place on devices and ping i
get a error message
      #ping <ip-address>
       unknow protocol icmp
can some help me to get over it.