Re: Re: process space restriction

On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 11:07:54PM +0500, Ð ë ê þ ã K wrote:
> but for everything (almost) there is a reason .whats behind 0x08048000

I don't know all the answers, but you may find some here:

http://iecc.com/linker/

You might find some answers if you look into the sources of ld and
binutils (that's where that number comes from).

> why highest user address possible, is 0xbfffffff

Because somebody decided that the kernel needed 1 GB out of the possible
4GB virtual address space on 32 bit machines.

Now don't ask me why do registers have 32 bits ? :)

	-Arun