Re: Perl expression

> Hi all,
>
> Could someone tell me a regular expression to remove leading spaces in a
> string?  For example in "       Hello World", i want to remove all the
> spaces *before* hello.

<CODE>
$String = "       Hello World";
$String =~ s/^\s*//;
print "$String\n";
</CODE>

That would do. ^ indicates from the beginning. \s stands for a single
space (this can be ' ' or a TAB). * stands for 0 or more occurrences.
So ^\s* means, from the beginning(^), 0 or more occurrences (*)  of space
(\s).

Similarly $ indicates end. So if u want to remove all spaces in the end,
changes the expression as:

$String =~ s/\s*$//;

Sreeji