RE: How to get processor id?

Hi Ketan,

	I am not sure that /etc/sysinfo -s will give you the cpuid. It gives
you what is called as the system identifier, which is not only the cpu.
Read the manpages carefully !

	 On multiple module systems this will return a 32 bit version of
     the lowest numbered module's identifier.

	So think about SMPs, also we need to have a clear idea of what a
module is. [I don't]

	Look at the BUGS section.
	BUGS
     The system identifier on different Silicon Graphics products is
     associated with different physical pieces of hardware.  Therefore, the
     identifier may unexpectedly change when the hardware is modified.

	So it is clear that the sysid is not only related to the CPU. I
wonder whether SGI has anything corresponding to the cpuid instruction in
i[3456]86

	So, if you use it in production code, caveat !!!

/*********
IIRC, there was a thread in LIH/LIP about cpuid, where Arun sharma had put
in valuable contribution. I wonder what his take on this is. Anyway, you may
check the archives.
**********/

The manpage is appended for people who do not have ready access to a SGI
system.

Regards,
Shourya

Shourya.Sarcar@xxxxxxxxxxxx
_______________________________
Global Software Platforms, India
www.gemedicalsystems.com
Tel : +91 80 526 3121

NAME
     sysinfo - print system identification

SYNOPSIS
     sysinfo [-s][-v][-vv]

DESCRIPTION
     sysinfo with no options prints the unique identifier of the system.
This
     identifier is guaranteed to be unique within the Silicon Graphics
product
     family.  With the -s option a shorter (32 bit) identifier is printed.
     This identifier is not guaranteed to be unique but in practice is.
This
     number is the same that is available from within a program via the
sysid
     function. On multiple module systems this will return a 32 bit version
of
     the lowest numbered module's identifier. Because this interface does
not
     take into account multiple module systems its use is discouraged.  With
     the -v option, sysinfo will print the unique identifier followed by the
     module number for each module in the system.  The -vv option will print
     the unique identifier, the system serial number and the module number
for
     each module on all platforms except IP20. On IP20 it will only print
the
     unique identifier and the module number.

SEE ALSO
     sysid(3C)