Re: About processor optimisation with gcc

Hi

man gcc says:
	"These  `-m' options are defined for the Intel 80386 family of
computers:"

Thus -m486 indicates Intel 486 or above. In the Kernel (as of
2.2.16) makefile, I see the following entry:

ifdef CONFIG_M586
CFLAGS := $(CFLAGS) -m486 -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2
-malign-functions=2 -DCPU=586
endif

ifdef CONFIG_M686
CFLAGS := $(CFLAGS) -m486 -malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2
-malign-functions=2 -DCPU=686
endif

So there's nothing like -m586 or -m686 (may be the latest gcc has that).
I dunno about options specific to AMD.

Sreeji