incresing performance !

hello Friends,
         Well, I am working on porting a signalling
protocol stack on Linux. Well, I have one problem. I
need to increase the number of messages handled per
second by a factor of 20( roughly). What all are the
issues that can contribute to this and how can porting
help in this ? Exactly what should be done in protocol
stack for this but mind U, it has around 70K-80K lines
of code.

Looking forward to ur help !

Thanx in advance !

Rudra