RE: Algorithm

i figure that could be tough, even with gperf
even raw-hashing could create duplicates, although I have heard taht gperf
creates a good hashing function.never used it as yet.

i assume you are talking about an unsigned integer ID.
Your ID space for the string would be
pow(26+26+10+allowed_special_characters,255) which I think is mucho larger
(is it ?) that the MAXINT of a machine with 64 bit ints (long long in
Linux).