Re: profiler

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 09:06:37AM +0530, Sharad Joshi wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2000, Arun Sharma wrote:
>
> + On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 03:55:06PM +0530, Sharad Joshi wrote:
> + > Well, AFAICR, someone in SGI wrote a profiler patch for Linux kernel
> + > 2.2.10+ I dont remember the exact URL, but the original poster can search
> + > SGI site.
> +
> + Just like the kernel debugger right :-) ?
> +
>
> Yeah, i know that it is not the best in the world and can be improved in
> lots of ways, but it is good at least for a start.

I didn't mean to demean the quality of the code. I'm sure both the
profiler and the debugger are good. I just meant that they don't
go into the official kernel tree - therefore, not everyone can
assume the presence of such code. In other words, these patches
continue to be the "bastard children".

There were some interesting "open letters" to Linus to contain
his personal preferences hurting the larger user base. Benevolent
dictatorships have their problems.

	-Arun