configuring sound card

hi Everybody

i my last mail i asked u abt the linux programming books.
thanx for that.....

now i want to know how to configure my sound card in linux...
actually, i copied the same settings as present in the windows for the sound
(IRQs, DMA etc..) but still it is showing errors while configuring the sound
card..Also my sound card is listed in the sound card library. i m not able
to find out hte problem ..WHY? i also referred to HOW TO... but no solution
is given..

So please help me ..

bye
Ashish