Ideas for software projects

Hi all,

I hope this is appropriate on these lists.

I am a final year Computer Engineering student.  We have to take up a
project in the final year as a part of our course. Choice of topic is left
to the student.

I was interested in taking up a Linux based software project. Could anyone
suggest possible topics?
I already know C, C++, shell and am currently working with Perl although I
would be willing to learn anything else required.

The first question most people I have asked is usually what type of
application I am interested in. So I will try and deal with that right here:
Anything.
(Except, perhaps, something totally database oriented)

Expecting some valuable ideas (and perhaps some help later during the course
of the project :-) )

-Gaurav