Re: Magic Garden: Explained

>>>>> On Sun, 11 Jun 2000 00:40:25 -0700 (PDT), bharat shetty <bharat_shetty@xxxxxxxxxx> said:

    bharat> Syed, It depends on what you are working on SysV derived
    bharat> version or BSD derived.  Since your mentor has specified
    bharat> magic garden.. It is better to get hold of that. However

Well, that brings me to a question as to from where Linux is derived ?
SVR4 or BSD or a combination of both.

    bharat> be aware that it does not discuss the code in a line by
    bharat> line fashion as Tanenbaum does with minix.

That is what I am not looking for anyway.

    bharat> Magic Garden discusses SysVR4+ and Solaris(closely
    bharat> related). It infact covers the concepts itself.( Books
    bharat> sold like this cannot cover the code)Do you think
    bharat> AT&T/Novell would allow that??

I guess I understand that being in IBM myself :-)

    bharat> Any decent company worth its name (and involved in unix)
    bharat> will have a copy.  Ask your mentor for a copy. I guess he

Well, I am resorting to LIP as the last resort. I have already done
what you have suggested. :-)

    bharat> definitely arrange for one. As arun said you need to be
    bharat> conversant a little bit of OS concepts (Bach would also
    bharat> help a lot).

Maybe I think Bach is the first place which I should start from, then
go on to Uresh Vahalia.

    bharat> And please do not ask for copies of books thru the mailing
    bharat> lists like this - who would be willing to pass on a book
    bharat> which is precious and OUT of print???

Well, Bharat. I would not mind paying for the book if it is in print and
I am not asking it so that I can keep it forever. I am not looking out
to deprive anyone of the "precious" book and I ain't forcing anyone.
Bye
Thanks
Regards
                Khader
--
Linux poses a real challenge for those with a taste for late-night
hacking (and/or conversations with God).

Syed Khader Vali (Siddiq)                     (sid at sidcarter.com)
Debian GNU/Linux (Woody)                    http://www.sidcarter.com