Info on /proc/interrupts

Hi,

	I was going through the /proc directory and I came across a file called
interrupts. The last two lines of this have certain flags called NMI and
ERR( ERR is seen only on a multi processor system, with SMP support).

Could anyone tell me as to what these really stand for and when are they
set ?!

Also, is there any way that I can find out as to how these stats are
generated and which are the files that are writting into these files.

I seriously want to go through the source code for Linux, but my work is
such that I just cannot dedicate the required time to do so !!

TIA,

Regards
Sandeep Sundaram.

http://www.MyOwnEmail.com