kernel 2.2.14 not recognising devices

Hi ,

     I have downloaded the latest "stable" version of the kernel, 2.2.14
from www.kernel.org. But after building the new kernel, it refuses to
recognize the ethernet cards on the system, although the corresponding
drivers are present. When I use "insmod", it throws up an error saying"
Unresolved symbols".

for eg. when I say "insmod 8390", it says " Unresolved symbol
disable_irq_nosync"

Do I need to make any changes for these ethernet cards to be recognised.
These cards were recognised by the previous kernel, version 2.2.5-15.

TIA,
Regards,
Sandeep Sundaram

http://www.MyOwnEmail.com