Re: [LI] Questions on mail server setup

> I'm finding it incredibly difficult to setup a chatscript and dial out. What
> took me say 2 hours on Win95 took me several days to do in Linux and that
> too without this linux-india mailing list I don't think I would've ever
> completed it.
> There are at least possibilities
> a) Linux in general has a steep learning curve.

Agreed one hundred percent. Linux/Unix do have a steep learning curve
compared to Mac O/S and Windows. True. The way everyone is going for a
PC these days, really scrambles my mind. Third rate students is the most
demanding sector of the PC market today. And they use it for surfing the
net for pronographic sites and chatting.

Everything else, every other activity will require an o/s which is
capable of pre-emptive multitasking in a respectable manner. And
learning curve for that largely depends onhow much time you have got.
Frankly, given two days to set up anything while starting from a blank
HDD, installation floppy and blank mind [Just the way I did in November
99], it is impossible to set up anything useful in Linux/Unix. But the
point is not that.

If you wish to derive real value for money from your PC for years to
come with a stability of a rock and configuration flexibility of a
rubber-band, I will recommend Linux. Curve is steep. But we are there to
help.

So far, as a PC user can be, I have learnt barely about how to use MM
applications on my PC, sound card config and X server working... barely.
But I do my best to share this level of info with all who need it. As I
slowly graduate [Unlike this bandar called Khader, who I almost admire
for his ardour in this field] to a higher level, the support on Linux
will grow in number by one.

You may find it tough. But do not give up. Nothing, that is worth it, in
life, comes free.
All the best.

Rohit