Re: [LI] Linux in Hindi... and TISCII fonts

>Vivek Kumar proclaimed:
>> I am new to this group so please excuse me if this is
>> a repeat question. Could not find the archive of mails
>> anywhere so am mailing it here
>
>Read the footer. ;-)
>
>http://lists.linux-india.org/

AND IF YOU SEARCH THERE YOU WILL FIND POSTS WHICH MENTION LOTS
OF PROJECTS WORKING ON INDIANISATION OF LINUX.
One such project is the IndLinux project headed by Venky at
IIIT Bangalore [link - www.freeos.com/indianlinux]

>> Is some group working on porting linux/BSD to hindi. Just heard
>> the news that IIT-M was porting Linux into tamil (does someone
>> have there website).
>> Well me and a couple of my friends have decided to port linux to
>> hindi. Initially we will be porting common applications like
>> text-editor, mailer, browser and some gui front end to the shell
>> in Hindi and then later attack the actual kernel. So it would be
>> great if there is some other group working for the same so we
>> could sync our efforts.

Have a look at the PANGO project at www.pango.org It is a new name for
the GNOME internationalization project and it should be a good place
to start with. I guess the IIT-M effort is in this direction and the
first release of pango already has a module to display tamil (maybe
donated by them - related to this 'Does anybody know where can one
find tamil fonts conforming to TISCII-1 ?').

>One more thing that needs work on is a good trans-literation scheme.  A

>scheme where an english keyboard could be used to type Hindi
characters.
>The easiest to choose would probably be a syllablic phonetic scheme
(You
>get lower 'ba' by typing the letter 'b' and 'a' in succession.  You get

>'bha' by typing 'b' and 'A' in succession etc..  This is how it is done
in
>Hirangana for Japanese.

For this, the ITRANS package will be of help. The pango project should
be
able to integrate ITRANS into it (at least that is the goal).
[link for ITRANS - www.aczone.com -> ITRANS]
Another project started by IIT-Kanpur and IIIT-Hyd is the ilinux project

at http://members.tripod.com/~ilinux It is basically an extension of
C-DAC GIST technology to Linux. You can run a decent xterm showing Hindi

characters and run most of the shell commands on an ISCII file.

>> Also if there are any other internationalization projects
>> going on could someone please forward that information
>> also

been setup specifically for this purpose. Go to the INDLINUX page at
EGROUPS or send a subscribe command to indlinux@xxxxxxxxxxx to get
more info.
about i18n efforts in Linux.
And don't forget to read the Unicode on Linux FAQ at
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

>See:
>http://www.mozilla.org/projects/intl/
>http://www.egroups.com/list/mozilla-indic/

I think these projects are dead now. Sachin Garg would be able to tell
more about it.

>> Work : 140 Scott Drive UMPK03-210, Menlo Park, CA -94063
>>        mailto:vk@xxxxxxxxxxx  phone:650-2166054
>
>So you are with Sun, are you?  Wait a minute!  Has McNealy's ego
balooned
>to such an extent that they have named a street after him? ;-)

Has Sun also jumped into the frey of indianization of Linux ?

-swapan