Re: [LI] core dump in user login

Hello,
	strace is for "system call tracing". It shows you what all system
calls your program executes. For example, if you trace a simple
"hello world" program, you will find that your program executes the
write() syscall because  the printf() library function ultimately calls
the write() system call. Knowing what all syscalls your program
executes (strace also shows you the arguments to the syscall) is
sometimes invaluable in debugging programs whose source is not
available.
	ltrace is similar to strace, but it does not trace to the
syscall level. It simply shows you all the library functions your
program executes. For example, suppose you have a piece of code
like this:
	main()
	{
		printf("hello world");
	}
You compile this to a.out and simply type 'ltrace a.out'. Here is the
output on my machine:
	atexit(0x40005d10)
 	__libc__init_first(1, ..... <lots of arguments>)
	atexit(0x080484c0)
	printf("hello world")
	exit(11)

strace should be available by default on your Red hat machine. If not,
check out the RPM's.