Re: [LI] imlib 1.9.8, libxpm and wine

Hi

> But before compiling I uninstalled the previous ver of imlib thru
> GnomeRPM. I ignored all dependency warnings as I had a new (probably
> better) version of imlib.
> But after "make install", now I am unable to start Gnome.. it says
> libgdk_imlib.so not found. I located the file & copied it all dirs
> that had any *imlib* files. Now I get the hash screen that comes after
> startx and X hangs (earlier it used to get killed).
>
> can anyone tell me what could be the problem? Is coz that all src are
> put under /usr/local ( I even tried using --prefix option of
> configure.

When moving to a newer version of library always check the docs to see as to
whether its fully backward compatible with older versions or not. In case its
not then maybe _a Upgrade using rpm_  might be better than 1st unintalling the
old and then installing the new version.

Also as a afterthought
  a) did you try a ldconfig after installing the new version.
  b) libgdk_imlib.so in all probability will be a link to the actual dynamic
library or to a so.majorversion link which inturn will point to the actual
dynamic library. If you _moved files around are these links still valid_ .

> BTW: Kde is working perfectly fine for a non root acct. My root acct
> uses Gnome and is not working. How do I start kde on startx, i.e.
> without the desktop switching tool??
>
> MANI

KDE if I am not wrong doesn't use imlib for its graphic code, but GNOME I am
sure uses Imlib.

---------
Keep :-)
HanishKVC