Re: [LI] Large disks

Atul Chitnis wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Sathya Rangaswamy wrote:
>
> > I would asssume it has a 4 gig limit on nodes in a 32 bit environement.

I think the original question was on  upper limit on file system size . The
FS being ext2 on Linux or atleast thats what I use.
I was not refering to the partition size. My assumption was that inodes were
accessed using absolute referencing using  longs and hence 4GIG would be the
upper limit on the number of inodes.   . For what it is worth  for ext2 the
max file system size is 4 Terra Bytes. The max file size  however is still
2giga bytes in the current release .  2^^32 = 4GIG  which seems to be the
logical explanation is not true
for ext2.
Incidentally 2GIG is also the maximimum data base table size for mysql under
Linux  which  probably
follows from the above. From what I understand these limits will be bumped
up in the ext2 version for the  2.4 kernel release.

> That can't be right - I have installed several machines with far larger
> partitions, including one with a straight 8GB / partition.
>
> Even Windows can do better than 4 GB these days!
>
> Atul

sathya

--
contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx