Re: [LI] Re: help: fetchmail fails with smtp transaction error 10

On Sun, Jan 23, 2000 at 10:42:16PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
>
> > Hi.  Fetchmail fails with SMTP transaction error 10 when I try to fetch
> > mail from my pop accts.  Mail is downloaded ok with winDOZE :(  What's up?
>
> > man fetchmail (1)
> > Error 10: Fetchmail failed while trying to do an SMTP port
> > open or transaction

Fetchmail needs sendmail (or any SMTP server) on your machine. Also if the
sendmail to which fetchmail sends mail rejects the same, fetchmail will
simply refuse to download any mail. It returns Error 10.

Since you are sure that sendmail is already running, /maybe/ the problem
is that sendmail is refusing mail from fetchmail. See options smtphost
and smtpaddress in fetchmail(1) man page. Maybe you can tweak something
in sendmail (or in fetchmail).

I use this in my .fetchmailrc ...
<qoute>
defaults
  smtphost localhost mvm vml
  smtpaddress localhost
</qoute>

> Works now.  I tried restarting sendmail, but no damned use :(
>
> So, I changed the hostname of my box to quizzer.kcircle.com (something I'd
> been meaning to do for ages) and suddenly it worked (?!?!?!)

Maybe sendmail started accepting mail from fetchmail now. Just a
guess/suggestion.

> Frankly stumped.  Explanation plz?

Anyway, Fetchmail gives error 10 only if there is a SMTP error. So that
is where we have to look for problems.

Thanks.

--
Do you support 'free software'?  Visit http://mvm.linuxbox.com