Re: [LI] Telnet to linux machine not working

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 05:49:01AM -0000, Jiju Thomas Mathew wrote:
> when i issue telnet ws1.digitel.net, i get the banner and
> the initial message, but no login prompt.
>
> in /var/log/messages i found this
> inetd[6798]: auth/tcp: bind: Address already in use

I recently had a similar problem. I killed bash belonging to a remote
login with signal 11. I switched back to inetd (from xinetd) soon after
that.

After enabling inetd, I found that nobody could login - no banner or
anything; just a 'connection refused' message. The logs showed "Address
already in use".

It still remains a mystery, but a reboot fixed the problem.

HTH.
--
Do you support 'free software'?  Visit http://mvm.linuxbox.com
Visit the ILUG-Cochin home page at http://www.netshooter.com/ilug-cochin