re: [LI] NIIT goes Linux

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, thus spake Atul Chitnis:

> Opened the Times of India today to see a quarter page advertisement by
> NIIT for its Linux courses - long rumoured and finally reality.

Did you see what they cost? ;)  It's supposed to be "mapped" to the Redhat
Certificate Engineer Exam.

> An interesting time to announce these courses - one would have thought
> that NIIT would have waited for the W2K launch to ride that wave before
> linking itself to Linux. I'd say that's a good omen!

I'd say I'm surprised they delayed so long, given their acute sense of the
market.

An interesting pointer to "what's hot and what's not" is to observe what
the hole in the wall, obscure computer institutes in an IT crazy city like
Hyd or B'lore are teaching - currently what's hot is a combined Linux +
Solaris admin class (plus, in some cases, Cisco routers also).

The big computer institutes soon catch on and follow suit with their own
courses (generally with real vendor accreditation - which must be in the
pipeline for NIIT, or they'd be advertising RHCE courses, not their own
"mapped" versions).  Now Aptech will run in with its own Linux courses,
and even more advertising ;)

It's simply market economics - they see a growing demand for "Linux" and
supply (rather high priced) courses, with extensive marketing to
differentiate themselves from the smaller institutes.

However, if value for money and, frequently, far better training is
required rather than the placements (?!?) you get from NIIT or Aptech, I'd
recommend a small institute - more lab time, less students in the batch
etc etc - and the textbooks are better - O'Reilly, Sams.Net RH6 Unleashed
etc, instead of the (usually rather basic) NIIT course material.

Basically because courses are mapped to the lowest common denominator in
NIIT material - their longterm courses cover so much in so little time
(every new buzzword that comes along is accomodated).  So their course
material is basic, to say the least.

BTW - I've seen some ~engineers~ look surprised, they didn't even know
Linux was the same old Unix they'd been using all along for the past 15
years - mostly SCO or Solaris <g>)

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | President, CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx