Re: [LI] Large disks

On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Rohit wrote:

> Atul Chitnis wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Rohit wrote:
> > > Then provide logic behind it.
> > Huh?
> > Atul
>
> Ghrrr! I want you to provide fundaes on what are the limiting factors
> when it comes to having a maximum file size and partitio size nd how are
> these related to FAT length in BITs. Go ahead, make my day.

I have no fundas. The only one I have before me is the fact that I have
installed Linux on 6-8 GB partitions without sweat. And I believe your
question has already been answered by someone else - there is a 2 GB
*FILE* size limit in Linux. It does not apply to partitions or
filesystems.

As far as I know, FAT is the only filesystem that has an issue with large
partitions because of the static nature of the File Allocation Table.
Inodes in the *nix file systems don't have that problem.

Atul