Re: [LI] vsnl mail problem

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, thus spake Anand Biligiri S:

> > telnet 202.54.6.35 110
> >     USER lvgandhi
> >     PASS *******

> the shell is trying to execute the commands USER and PASS.I am not sure
> how to send these to the telnet program.You have to telnet to the server

Gandhi is correct.  He has telneted to a pop3 server and issued standard
pop3 commands.  There might be timeouts, as you have to train the script
to wait for responses before issuing the next command.  Do it manually and
see please :)

> and type the USER and PASS when QPOP responds.the other
> commands like LIST work only when you are logged in.

My dear Sir, he ~is~ logged in to vsnl, and is telneting to their pop
server.  What's wrong?

A better method, telnet to their server, go to VSNL's pine and delete the
message there itself.  Or use mail from their shell prompt.

And yes, if this is because the mail is a spam say (the domain in the
from: or to: fields is fake and does not resolve - something like
fake@xxxxxxxxxx) then set the "no dns" flag -

> poll server with proto pop3 no dns

or if the mail is too big, set the timeout flag if you want to download
it instead of deleting it.

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian     | President, CAUCE India
r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx   | suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx