[LI] Hard disk problem !

Hi,

   I am facing a problem with my hard disk. Sometimes Linux
   hangs giving the message -

   "hda: lost interrupt"

   Then after a while it says -

   "ide0 reset success"

   and the prompt reappears and everything seems ok.  But
   yesterday it happened again as soon as I booted and even
   after the "ide0 reset" message the system hanged for a
   long time.  So I had to switch off my PC.

   Do you think this is a HDD controller failure or is something
   wrong with the hard disk itself (Quantum Fireball).

   Finally when I switched on my PC again Linux said "/dev/hda5"
   has problems and asked for the root password (for manual fsck).
   When I tried to login as root I got the message -

   "bash: out of virtual memory"

   and the system rebooted.  This happens every time I boot.
   So I am unable to do anything. Sadly I have a boot disk but
   don't have a root disk :((  Any suggestions welcome.

Regards,
Moinak.