[LI] Meta?

> Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 22:23:42 +0530 (IST)
> From: Suresh Ramasubramanian <r.suresh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: A suggestion [was re: [LI] Programmers]
>
> Instead of fragmenting the entire list into LI General, LI Programmers,
> and perhaps LI RedHatters and LI Debianers ;) --
>
> 1. Introduce a set of list topics - these are prefixes like :
>
> HELP: (for help queries), PROG: (programming / kernel hack), SYSAD:
> (system admin and networking queries), MAIL: (email based queries),
> HWAR: (hardware, sis card etc) queries, COMM: (commercial posts).

I second this suggestion: Sounds good, though it takes (lots of?) time
for us listers to develop the disciplin, as the history of the List
shows. I keep wondering what is it that makes us flare so periodically
(with luls before the storm, during which there is always a serious,
mature discussions about pros and cons about many things). I have
noticed that most of the `fight' is concentrated around `distros'. (I
always thought that each distro has its pros and cons and after all,
Linux is about choice: you choose the one you WANT!). There are of
course, occasional `misunderstandings' about whether or not a posting is
commercial, and how a bug report should be posted (recent posting by
Suresh about getting root-access via sendmail- more discussions were
regarding how or how not he should have posted rather than the solution
to prevent such misuse!!!). There are also occasinal `war' regarding GPL
or GNU? Should there exist any commercial s/w that works on Linux or not
(there are hundreds of them right now- and thousand free!). I keep
seeing a pattern, though I am not able to decipher the pattern. Someday,
perhaps! Of course, we do need healthy discussions about pros and cons
of everything on Linux, but a healthy one please. No one should get
offended if someone else points out a bug or a problem, but should be
done so in a right way. This `mud-slinging' which I saw for first time
on the list, shows our immaturity.
Ashok
P.S. Forgive me for this long, irrelevant (?) note.