[LI] Apache problem

I could see the page (apache index) in /home/httpd/html/index.html which
is root.root having permission -rw-r--r-- as httpd was running. I have
changed this to index.html.old. I made a symlink to a file
lvgandhi.lvgandhi in my home dir with permission -rw-r--r--. Now I get
error as
Forbidden
I have modified /etc/httpd/conf/access.conf file also to include this
dir with permission for all. Still the erro persists.
Can somebody explain it why. I wanted to test cgi with symlinks in my
dir.
--
L.V.Gandhi
MECON, 5th Floor, RTC Complex, Visakhapatnam AP 530020 INDIA