Re: [LI] 3.5" disk format

On Wed, Jan 19, 2000 at 03:17:50PM +0530, Rohit wrote:
> Narayana Yaddanapudi wrote:
> > How do I format a 3.5":HD disk to hold 1722 kb?
>
> No you don't!

Actually, you'd rather not.
The best way is to download fdutils (http://fdutils.linux.lu/), if you
already dont have them. This package includes a program called superformat
which can low-level format your floppy to your needs. Unfortunately, if
you dont have a *very* good floppy drive, you could end up damaging your
floppies. I formatted one of my floppies to about 2.1MB and it didnt last
more than 15 minutes of proper testing (I had to throw away the floppy).
Your floppy life-spans will decrease with higher formatted capacities.

	I think 1722KB are supported by DOS systems also(other than Linux).
For fooling around with floppies, I would suggest a program called HD-Copy
written by Oliver Fromme. I have recovered quite a lot of data from
seemingly impossible situations with this program. It also supports formatting
to different capacities, copying between floppies and is >>fast<<.
Further, its freeware (No, its not open source). Unfortunately, I dont have
the web-site. I could maybe mail it personally to anyone interested.

--vml,
Model Engg. College