Re: [LI] AMD K6 woes

Hi there,

	I have exactly the same board(VIA Apolla MVP3) on a K6-2 350, 128 MB
RAM, Matrox G200, Kobian mini tower AT cabinet. Have been using it as a home
PC with RH-6.1(pcq) for the past 6 months. Nary a problem to date.

Could it be a problem with the RAM module ? There was a utility called
"memtester" announced on Freshmeat about 2 months ago. I have found it to
be immensely helpful in picking out faulty RAM modules. Try it & see if it
helps.

Pls. beware that the util took almost 40 minutes to put my 128 MB of RAM thro'
a series of convolutions... be patient.

> I had almost completed this mail and my system crashed and i had to do
> it again. For a linuxer this crashing is unpalatable. My Red Hat 6.1 is
> crashing intermittently when i run X .(Which i run all the time). This
> happens 2-3 times a day (did MS buy redhat :). I installed RH 6.1 on an
> AMD K6-2 300 and it crashed regularly so i upgraded to a K6-3 400 but it
> still happens. I have turned on all logging and created seperate logs
> for kernel msgs and crit status messages but no clue in them. The
> machine config is as below

Also, I ran into a batch of Cirrus Logic 4 MB AGP cards in the last week of
November (6 nos. of them purchased in one shot) that caused exactly the
sort of problem you describe...unexplained crashes when running "X" on a bunch
of AMD K62-350's, that I purchased for my office. The machines were going thro'
hoops for me in text mode..no problems whatsoever. A change of card has sorted
out the problem for me(I moved to a different brand). To date I have not been
able to figure out what caused the problem. Bad lot of cards ?

--Avinash

PS : No brand bashing intended...strictly a observation on my part.