Re: [LI] root access from old sendmail boxes

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Sathya Rangaswamy wrote:

> > Make hard link of /etc/passwd to /var/tmp/dead.letter
>
> Now why would I want to do that ?.  I do understand the sendmail bug.
> But if a hacker can get in and create the link why even bother
> linking, might as well edit it or am I missing somthing ?

Yep, you did.

You can create the link to the passwd file as an ordinary user, but cannot
write to it. With this crack, you can. So all you need is a normal user
login, which is fairly easy on systems where people change their passwords
once in a century, usually from PASSWORD1 to PASSWORD2). Once you apply
the crack Suresh described, you get root access.

Atul