Re: [LI] user space, kernel space and .........

Hi Khader,
And can anybody elaborate why Unix uses only two levels and
why not all the four ?? And anybody here knows what are the four levels in
the Intel
processors.

Actually UNIX uses two levels in hardware and simulates the other levels through software. One reason for not using all the four modes is that flexibility is lost. I will explain this further: When we talk of levels, we are actually talking about the level of protection in a particular level. At the highest level you have all the rights to change any of the CPU registers. At the lowest level you have rights just enough to perform your work. Here we can implement more levels as done by Intel, by gradually increasing the protection from the lowest to the highest level. This is theoretically a good idea, but when it comes to practical implementation, this reduces the flexibility. As you are aware, the superuser (root) has the flexibility of granting a particular right to a particular (or a group of) users. This would require several level changes for those users. This further makes the implementation of the OS quite complicated. Regarding the four levels, I think they are just named from level 0 to level 3 (level 0 being the highest protection).
Note: I may not be right at this one, others please correct ?

Regards
Nitin

Thanks
Regards