Re: [LI] help on oracle 8i!!

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Sandeep Singh Cheema wrote:

> i tried to install oracle 8i for linux (i have RHL 6.0)
> it asks for jre as a prerequisite- what is jre? where can i get it?- the
> oracle distribution doesnt seem to include this- kindly help.

JRE is the "Java Runtime Environment". It is the stuff you need if
you want to run Jav binaries. Check out blackdown.org for Java on
Linux.

Additinally, if you are planning to use Java to support Oracle 8i, please
be aware that it works with a particular version of jre 1.1.6v5. Other jre
versions have some subtle problems. I might add that SuSE 6.2 has special
files/patches (checkout <http://www.suse.com>) to support Oracle 8i and to
install it painlessly.