Re: [LI] Re: Buggy RH 6.1 (attn Atul)

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, Aditya Deshpande wrote:

>     Blames etc. apart. People have to just remember  that
> whatever software comes on PCQ is not exactly created
> or owned by PCQ. Since it is neither it is not PCQ's
> responsiblity to look for bug fixes and then report them to the
> list or to the magazine and suggest a URL for the fixes.

Thanks - you made the point much clearer.

>     I would rather do such things myself and take responsiblity
> for the stuff you have given saving me download time and
> money. Also I would prefer that you concentrate more on your
> *fine* magazine than look for bugs in the distributed software.

Thanks for looking at it this way. PCQ does care about the quality of what
it distributes, but being accused of "lame excuses" and delivering faulty
software is a bit much.

>     Another thing atul isn't it better to use loadlin, boot into linux
> and then run linuxconf or lilo from there. This is regarding protecting
> LILO.

Loadlin is an additional layer of software. I'd rather use "pure" methods.

> Atul Could PCQ also start distributing source code of modules
> such as printers or XServer etc. until next version of Linux comes out
> this would help us coders a lot.

Source code is huge - CD space is limited. In that space, one could ship a
whole lot more stuff. PCQ tries and make things convenient for you by
shipping binaries to save 99% of actual users the download time. While a
few people would like to have the source code instead, I am afraid the
large majority is more interested in immediately-usable stuff. PCQ has to
look at what is most useful to the largest number of readers. Those of you
who really need the source should consider spending an additional Rs.199
and buy the distribution source CD from people like GT Enterprises.

Atul