Re: [LI] Tape problem

your tape drive is a character device, just like your monitor, keyboard,
etc. u cannot "cd" to a character device!
your hard disk/floppy/cdrom is a block devise, and so are the partitions u
create on it, thats why u can "mount" your partitions/floppy/cdrom, etc.

now, to access the character device like a tape drive, u use the tar
facility- specifically, if u want to take a backup, u may use something
like this:
tar cvf /dev/st0 *

this backups all the files in your current directory to the tape.

for more info on tar, use man tar.

Sandeep Singh Cheema
ACT-PSO
HCL Infosystems