[LI] Mail lock file

Hello all

While I was downloading my mail from my server, my connxn with VSNL was
terminated and now, netscape says that the spool file is already being
read by another user and does not respond.
I'm not able to download my mail from my account now.
I've tried searching for a lockfile but can't find any.
I've also tried restarting inetd(to restart popd) & finally even
rebooting the server.
I logged in using shell and ran `mail` there. I've managed to save my
mail as files and ftp them. My mail is now nonexistant and there isn't
even a file in the /var/spool/mail directory. However, the problem
persists. Any idea why?
Any way to get it working again?
Our server runs Slackware 96 ( Kernel 2.0.34)

TIA
-sush