Re: [LI] PAP SUPPORT :::::::

--S.K. Singh--

On Thu, 23 Dec 1999, jatin wrote:

>  HI GUYS.....,
>
>              NOW A DAYS I'M SPENDING A LOTTA TIME TRYIN TO CONFIGURE
>    NET THRU LINUX....BUT  (SOB) ALL IN VAIN. PLZ HELP ME
>    OUT REGARDING ::
>
>     * DOES E.T.H. SUPPORT PAP ?? OR VSNL SUPP IT ??

For ETH communication PAP is not required. The PAP is weakest security
password. The only advantage with PAP in dailup is that ISP need not to
give login access via telnet etc to his/her server. PAP is useful for
dial-up ppp connection. Instead shadow password is useful in eth
networking.

>     * DOES IT MEAN THAT IF MY ISP SUPPORTS PAP THEN I DONOT HAVE TO USE
> SCRIPT ??

One can write script where PAP password can be given. I have been using
PAP via script dialing. Use linuxconf to configure script for PAP dialup
connection.

>     * MY ISP (ETH) DOES NOT SHOW POST DIAL TERMINAL SCREEN AT ALL (WHEN I
> CONNECT THRU WIN) I JUST MENTION MY ID AND PASSWORD IN THE DIALER 	AND IT
> DIRCTLY LOGS ON TO THE NET.......IN THIS CASE WHAT SCTIPT 	SHOULD I
Better use linuxconf to configure
/etc/sysconfig/netwwork-scripts/ifup-ppp0 and chapscript files.