[LI] LILO + fdisk/mbr

Dear Folks,

Sorry for the delay - was stuck with the only ISP in India that doesn't use
*nix. Grr.
<rant>  Atul always is PC and never refers to Satyam by name <preferring "an
ISP">, but I don't have to be. Why the F**** do they have to use NT???? It's
always down, or always under maintainence - I am forced to spend 2 hours to
download 200KB from LI. The helpline folks are always so decent but they
alway say - the mailserver is under something or the other. Aaaargh. And the
problems are not going to go away. Linux, or even better - FreeBSD
please.....
</rant>

Now, back to life. The problem that I described with LILO was very
interesting simply because *EVEN AFTER* a fdisk /mbr, LI reappeared. So, I
was wondering if it was stored sowhere else or if fdisk/mbr did not work

Many people have mailed me regarding NT + Linux + LILO, so here's some of
the questions that belong to a NT-Linux FAQ on LI:

a) Can I use Linux with NT?
Yes of course, Linux works with ANYTHING. The other approach, however is not
guaranteed at all. Note the recent MS document on how to remove Linux and
install NT5.0. :-)).

b) Can I install Linux with NT?
i) Yes. If you have NT installed already, go right ahead, the stupid thing
is so dumb, it won't even realize that the MBR has changed, LILO will work
like a dream. Note: this is for release 3.5.1 onwards that I have experience
for. Others I dunno.

ii) No. If you have Linux <and LILO> installed, and try to put NT over, NT
will cough, roll over and die in some corner. Incidentally, it will also
nearly format your hard disk. In such situations, before installing NT,
create a boot floppy for Linux, do a fdisk /mbr, install NT, then go into
Linux and rerun Lilo. man lilo for more details.

c) Can I make LILO default boot manager?
Yep, works, but best to have NT installed first.

d) Can I make NT Bootmanager the default boot manager?
Read the NT-Linux HOWTO for more details:
http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader
Or go here for bootpart:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/gvollant/bootpart.htm.

e) Which of them is better?
Heh, heh, read the first part of this mail.... ;-)).

ReSourcefully,

    Gandalf Mithrandir   /* Mobilis in mobile  */  Final Year CS&E, UVCE, Blr
/*   Any Sufficiently Advanced Operating System is indistinguishable from Linux   */
// Do not meddle with SysAds for they are quick to anger and subtle in their ways //