Re: [LI] Winmodems

Anuj Jain <siliconeyes@xxxxxxx> on 12/22/99 02:02:40 AM

>Just a thought.. But why can't Linux run Windmodems?? I mean, windows is
>also a software, right? We have emulators and stuff. So why is it that

Hi Dude,
you are right , wndows also has softwear , but the same guys who give the
softwear for windows don't give the software for Linux and that is
the reason why winmodems work only in windows !! Similarly we also
have linmodems which are essentially for linux and then windows guys
will crib that there are no drivers for them for windows !!
So, then windows guys will throw their hands up when it comes to
linmodems!!
What do you say ?/

>people just throw their hands up when it comes to winmodems?? I have a
>Motorola VoiceSurfr 56K, which though isnt a modem, uses some host
>signal processing or something like that, and can be run only with
>windows.

And what also happens is that people in the gray market try to give out
winmodems ( which happen to be cheaper ).  So, rather then cribbing, try
writing a driver yourself for your modem or get a non-win-modem
and be a part of the revolution to rid this world of M$-Monopoly.
     Khader