[LI] How to diagnose?

Dear linuxers,

I have a running linux server on P-III dual (445Mhz), version SuSE 6.2,
kernel 2.2.10 on a Intel 440GX motherboard.  The performance is very good.
However I have discovered a strange problem yesterday.  At some point it
`hangs' for few minutes.  During this time nothing happens, though network
is up, as pinging from other machines indicates.  No logins are possible
from the network as well as from the console, even a simple command like `ls
-l' takes minutes to respond. When it responds it just rocks, and when this
sleaps it is as good as dead.  This has happened thrice yesterday for about
3/4 minutes. I know that this is not real hanging, because it manages to
come out of this inactivity on its own after some time.

Now my problem is how to diagnose where the problem lies.  Any clues?

Nagarjuna