[LI] i810 - The step by step guide (revised)

	Setting up X on Intel 810 based VGA chipset

	Support for i810 will be included only in the next release of X11 which
might take some time. However, a binary only driver is available from
Precision  Insight. The following is a stp-by-step guide to get X up and
running using the Xserver provided by insight. I have not yet looked up
the support pages for the i810 at intel.com, all the info i have
gathered are from newsgroup archives and  searches.

	Please note, this is not comprehensive and should not be considered as
authoritative. As usual, all standard disclaimers apply.

1. Download the necessary file

  All the files are available from
ftp.precisioninsight.com/pub/precisio/XFCom/.

  * Information for i810 Users
    ftp.precisioninsight.com/pub/precisio/XFCom/README.i810

  * The Xserver for RedHat Linux 6.1

ftp.precisioninsight.com/pub/precisio/XFComXFCom-i810-glibc2.1-1.0.0-rh61.i386.rpm

  * agpgart.o kernel module source
    ftp.precisioninsight.com/pub/precisio/XFCom/I810Gtt-0.1-4.src.rpm

2. Compiling the AGP module

   I had a little trouble compiling the module. The sanity check failed
even though i had a 2.2 kernel running, 2.2.13 to be exact. The fix is
simple, but before that, see whether a rpm --rebuild
I810Gtt-0.1-4.src.rpm works. If not, read on.
    Install the src by running rpm -ivh I810Gtt-0.1-4.src.rpm. The tar
ball will get dumped to /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES. gzip -cd I810Gtt.tar.gz
|tar xf - will untar and uncompress it. Open the Makefile with an
editor. There would be something like (on or near line 20) ...

    KERNEL_VERSION=$(shell ./version-test.sh)

    Replace it with

    KERNEL_VERSION=2.2

    This would bypass version-test.sh. Run make. NOTE: The C development
libraries is reqd at this stage. If all goes well, u would have a file
names agpgart.o in the source directory. U can either do a "make
install" at this stage or do manually "install" (preferred).

Manual Install:

  * Copy agpgart.o to /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/misc/. Replace
<kernel-veriosn> with the appropriate kernel version number. If are
using RHL 6.1 (PCQ flavour), it will be 2.2.12-20

	root# cp /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/agpgart.o /lib/modules/2.2.12-20/misc/

  * Creating the device

	root# mknod /dev/agpgart c 10 175
	root# chmod ug+w /dev/agpgart

  * In /etc/conf.modules add

	alias char-major-10-175 agpgart

  On a Debian system u need to add it to /etc/modutils/aliases and then
run update-modules. This will update /etc/conf.modules with the new
entry. Kmod will modprobe the module when X starts up. Or, add a line
"agpgart" in /etc/modules which will load the module agpgart.o on
bootup.

    A pre compiled agpgart.o module for RHL 6.1 is available from the
ftp site which can also be used.

3. The X server

   * Install the X server
	root# rpm -ivh XFCom-i810-glibc2.1-1.0.0-rh61.i386.rpm

   * Change the symlink
	root# ln -sf /usr/bin/X11/XFCom_i810 /etc/X11/

4. Adding the entry in /etc/X11/XF86Config

   * The final step would be to add the "Device" and "Screen" entry. I
have this in my config file. Modify it to suit your requirements.

   Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Intel 810 (generic)"
	VendorName  "Unknown"
	BoardName   "Unknown"
	#VideoRam    4096
	#Option     "no_accel"
	#Option     "sw_cursor"
	#Option     "hw_cursor"
	#Option     "sgram"
	#Option     "sdram"
   EndSection

   Section "Screen"
	Driver      "svga"
	Device      "Intel 810 (generic)"
	Monitor     "My Monitor"
	DefaultColorDepth   16
	Subsection "Display"
	Depth       16
	Modes       "800x600"
	ViewPort    0 0
	Virtual	    1024 768
   EndSubsection

	The XFCom server does not support colour depths greater than 24 bpp.
The Netscape colour palette gets screwed up in 24 bpp, i have opted to
run only at 16 bpp. Refer to README.i810 file has all the details.

5. The "smoke test"

   Insha Allah! X -probeonly would let u debug any problems at this
level. So try it out. Problems if any, could be traced back to
XF86Config at this stage.

6. And finally...

   startx

Notes: This card supports OpenGL!!! Yeah baybee Yeah! But... No GL
drivers for linux currently available. That should change soon as SGI
has open sourced GL. All of you with Matrox G200, there is still hope!

	Hardware-accelerated OpenGL Quake is Quake the way God intended it to
be. Too bad i had to boot off to Win to play GL Quake. How to get Quake
up on an i810??? Well... that's a story i am saving for another day :)

  Happy hacking.

-- Shanu